Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Conversations

Trevor and I have been having a lot of fun with Mia this holiday season as we prepare for the birth of our Savior. Trying to peer into the mind of my almost 2 year old has forced me to think of Christmas in, well, simpler terms, so that I might help her to understand why we are celebrating.

Even though our camera is still currently being fixed and I can't share any photos, I thought I'd share a few recent conversations that I've had with Mia during this season.

Me: "Mia, do you know what Christmas is?"
Mia: blank inquisitive stare
Me: "It's baby Jesus' birthday! Jesus was born on Christmas!"
Mia: Little baby! Baby Jesus! A-Men!
Me: Yes, A-men!
Mia: Grabs one of her babies, rocking it, starts singing to it.... "Rock-a-bye Jeeee-sus, on the treetop, when the bow breaks...."
Me: Oh, that's so nice! You're singing lullabies to Jesus! Does he like that?
Mia: YES, he does!

Oh my goodness, the sweet innocence of this age!

One of the observations I've made about Mia is that she loves music, and can remember the words to songs quite easily. I grew up singing and so we often sing throughout our day together. I only had to sing Jingle Bells a few times until I caught Mia running through the halls (naked, mind you) singing her own rendition... This morning I left Mia playing in her room to do a few things and when I came back she was singing, "God is so good, God is so good, God is so good, he's so good to me." It melted me! She truly listens and takes in everything around her. Now of course our little angel is not always so angelic, but her angel moments are very precious to me.

Conversation about Santa Claus:
Me: "Mia, do you know who Santa Claus is?"
Mia: "Santa Claus!"
Me: "He brings toys to all the little girls and boys on Christmas! What would you like to ask Santa Claus for this year?"
Mia: "I ask Santa Claus for a 'monica... (harmonica)"
Me: (Shocked). Oh! You want a harmonica?
Mia: "Yeeessss. A 'monica."

I was racking my brain trying to figure out where on earth she learned about harmonicas, and then it dawned on me that we had recently played at our friend Finley's house and had tried out her harmonica. I had no idea it made such an impact! Since then, I have asked Mia several times what she would like to ask Santa Claus for, and every time she replieds "I will ask him for a 'monica." Needless to say, Mia will be getting her Christmas wish this year!

1 comment:

Me... said...

She is an amazing little girl! how fun to have those converdations with her. Were still working on the talking thing, there are a couple of new words :)
That's sweet she sings to herself and can remember songs so well. I can't wait to hear Logan singing songs!
miss you both