As we get ready for baby sister's arrival in the next few months we have worked hard at also preparing Mia for her new role as big girl and big sister! I have been amazed at how much she is growing up, and how quickly. Although I am VERY excited to bring our new addition home, and SOON, I am sad to see my first baby becoming so grown up! It seems like just yesterday she was a tiny babe in my arms. It is amazing to think how much her life has changed us. Our hearts have grown in love in ways we never expected.
And to think they're about to grow even more! What an amazing journey parenting is. We were at dinner with some friends the other night and they commented on how they are excited to become parents someday because of how much fun it looks like. We then reflected on how, although often times the challenges seem bigger than the joys, that in the end are lives really are a lot more FUN because of Mia and the joy she brings. I am so grateful!
2 major events in the last few weeks.... potty training and graduation to big girl bed... have made the growing up she was already doing on her own, seem more real.
Mia is now almost completely potty trained (except nighttime). It has taken a bit longer than I expected. Since Mia has been such a quick learner with other tasks, I thought she'd take to it a bit easier, but she really is quite comfortable staying in diapers. I have had to force the issue a bit more than I thought. Here she is on a recent road trip to Bellingham.... in the trunk of the car on her potty. I started bringing the potty with us because when she has to go, she HAS TO GO. Notice the mermaid panties! Her favorite, and a major bribery tool.
Last night we took down her crib and set up her big girl bed. We had a "bye-bye crib" dance party and Mia couldn't have been more excited to try out the new bed. Trevor and I didn't expect how strange this would feel for us. For 2 1/2 years the crib has been a source of comfort and security. We didn't have to worry about her safety or comfort! We could put her in bed and not worry too much, even if she cried a bit. Now we have a whole other slew of issues to deal with.... last night she went to bed willingly (and stayed in tell she fell asleep) but then proceeded to fall out 3x during the night. I am not sure if this tiny toddler bed is going to cut it, since she is such an active sleeper. One time I came to check on her and she was sleeping in the middle of the floor with no blankets. Oh dear! At least she was sleeping, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of a bed? We'll see if she can adapt or we may need to buy a bigger bed!
This morning, a pic of her sleeping peacefully.
3 comments:
Look at her cute bed! What fun changes.
Hi! That brings back a lot of memories. Don't worry if she falls out - the toddler bed is low to the floor, and it's warm at this time of the year. John's last night in the crib was somewhere around age 2, I think.... (2 1/2 when Ryan born)when he climbed out in the middle of the night on his first attempt ever. We took the mattress out then and there, and bought a toddler bed the next day!
Lindsey, I'm so so so thrilled to see the pictures of you and your little family. Don't you just love it?? Now you know why your mom and I loved ours so much. It's a joy from ready to set to go. Your children are gorgeous!! If you are on Facebook, look for Hannah, Megan, and I. We have lots of pictures up too. (Megan got married two weeks ago.) We will always love you and have many happy memories of what a cutie pie you are.
MaryAnn
Kohl
www.brightring.com
Post a Comment